The Ferg is the heart of campus. We host different events and programs for students, student organizations, University departments, faculty and staff. We also partner with student groups and University departments to organize events for the student body. In addition, we have spaces available for reservation by student organizations and university departments.
The Ferguson Student Center serves to enhance the student and UA community experience by providing physical space and services that build community, develop leaders, support programs, and promote student learning, development, and inclusion.
- We will provide a variety of programs and services that create an inclusive and welcoming environment where interaction and understanding among individuals from diverse backgrounds occur.
- We will uphold the facility for current and future generations of college students by practicing continuous high standards of maintenance, sustainability, refurbishment, and renovation.
- We will be the center of campus student activities and provide excellent service to the students we serve as well as the members of the university community through programs, facilities, and other amenities.
- We will provide opportunities for student leadership development through student employment, boards, committees, and volunteerism.
- We will complement the University mission through intentionally designing, creating and providing environments which promote out-of-class learning experiences.
- We will recruit, support, develop, and retain excellent staff who are committed to customer service and to the visions and goals of the Ferguson Student Center, the Division of Student Life and The University of Alabama.
Role of the College Union
The union is the community center of the college, serving students, faculty, staff, alumni, and guests. By whatever form or name, a college union is an organization offering a variety of programs, activities, services, and facilities that, when taken together, represent a well-considered plan for the community life of the college.
The union is an integral part of the educational mission of the college.
- As the center of the college community life, the union complements the academic experience through an extensive variety of cultural, educational, social, and recreational programs. These programs provide the opportunity to balance course work and free time as cooperative factors in education.
- The union is a student-centered organization that values participatory decision-making. Through volunteerism, its boards, committees, and student employment, the union offers first-hand experience in citizenship and educates students in leadership, social responsibility, and values.
- In all its processes, the union encourages self-directed activity, giving maximum opportunity for self-realization and for growth in individual social competency and group effectiveness.
The union’s goal is the development of persons as well as intellects.
Traditionally considered the “hearthstone” or “living room” of the campus, today’s union is the gathering place of the college. The union provides services and conveniences that members of the college community need in their daily lives and creates an environment for getting to know and understand others through formal and informal associations.
The union serves as a unifying force that honors each individual and values diversity. The union fosters a sense of community that cultivates enduring loyalty to the college.
Copied from Association of College Unions International (ACUI.com). Adopted by the Association’s general membership in 1996, this statement is based on the Role of the College Union statement, 1956.