Ferguson Student Center Building Policies
The Ferguson Student Center strives to provide a safe and inclusive environment for all students, faculty, staff, and guests at The University of Alabama. The Ferguson Student Center is considered a public facility and is open to members of the public. Visitors to the facility are expected to adhere to established building policies, University regulations, Trustees policies, Student Code of Conduct, as well as federal, state and local regulations and policies at all times while in the facility regardless of activity.
These policies are in effect at all times while visiting the facility. Persons not in accordance with these policies will be asked to leave the Ferguson Student Center.
All Ferguson Student Center events and patrons are expected to adhere to established facility policies, University regulations, Trustees policies, Student Code of Conduct, as well as federal, state and local regulations and policies at all times while in the facility regardless of activity. The Ferguson Student Center maintains the right to cancel without advance notice any event not in compliance with these regulations.
It is the responsibility of the person requesting use of Ferguson Student Center facilities and services to ensure that events and patrons are in compliance with all applicable regulations.
- Ferguson Student Center designates its buildings, entrances and all related grounds (including parking lots and decks) are tobacco free.
- Definitions used for tobacco free.
Smoking: includes inhaling, exhaling, burning or carrying any lighted or heated cigar, cigarette or pipe.
Tobacco Products:refers to all forms of tobacco, including but not limited to cigarettes, cigars, pipes, water pipes (hookah), electronic cigarettes, and smokeless tobacco products.
- The University of Alabama is a smoke free campus. Please see the University’s Smoke-Free Campus Policy.
- Dangerous weapons are not allowed on campus at any time. Please see the University’s Dangerous Weapons & Firearms Policy.
- The possession and/or consumption of alcohol is not permitted in the Ferguson Student Center regardless of the age of the visitor involved. In the case where alcohol is requested for an event in the facility, all procedures as outlined in the UA Alcohol Policy must be followed. In the case where alcohol is approved for an event, alcoholic beverages are not to be removed from the designated event area.
- Being intoxicated or being under the influence of alcohol and/or illegal drugs is prohibited in the Ferguson Student Center.
- For health and safety reasons, all persons entering the Ferguson Student Center must wear proper attire, which includes shirts and shoes. Persons not wearing proper attire will be asked to leave the premises. Exceptions for cultural, religious, or other reasons may be made at the direction of the Ferguson Student Center staff.
- At no time may doors, fire exits, elevators, hallways, or foot traffic be blocked by individuals, an event or event set-up. All event set-ups must observe fire code and comply with the ADA.
- For the safety and security of all patrons, lights are required to be on in all occupied areas. In some areas, light levels can be adjusted in accordance with the building staff.
- Any form of soliciting, stopping or blocking traffic in the building to campaign or sell items is not allowed in unapproved locations.
- Photography and filming in the facility is permitted with prior approval from the Director of the Ferguson Student Center or designee. Event organizers wishing to film inside the reserved space for their own personal use is permitted without approval. Ferguson Student Center staff reserve the right to dictate the locations where filming is permitted as to not interfere with daily building operations.
- Parking, riding or walking of bicycles, use of skates (in-line or otherwise), or use of skateboards or scooters will not be permitted in the facility at any time unless approved by Ferguson Student Center Director or designee.
- Creating litter, or throwing, discarding, or depositing any paper, glass or other matter of any kind, except in designated trash and recycling receptacles is prohibited. Rummaging through or removing items from the trash and recycling receptacles is prohibited.
- Intentional misuse, defacement or destruction of Ferguson Student Center facilities or equipment is prohibited.
- Excessive noise is not permitted in the building with the exception of approved programs, meetings, and events. No portable personal audio devices, MP3 players, compact disc players, radios, instruments or other sound devices may be operated without personal earphones in the public areas of the Ferguson Student Center without prior approval. The Ferguson Student Center reserves the right to monitor and control volume.
- All individuals using Ferguson Student Center facilities are to act responsibly. Individuals who display disruptive, dangerous or inappropriate behavior will be asked to leave and may be prohibited from using center facilities in the future.
- Sitting on anything other than chairs or benches designed for such purposes located in designated areas is prohibited.
- Sleeping within the Ferguson Student Center facilities is prohibited.
- Gambling in any form is not permitted in the Ferguson Student Center.
- Misuse of the wireless internet system is prohibited. All patrons must abide by The University of Alabama Computer and Network Use General Guidelines.
- Only service animals are allowed in the Ferguson Student Center. Non-service animals and pets are not allowed in the Ferguson Student Center. Animals whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals and are not allowed in the facility unless otherwise approved by Ferguson Student Center Administration. For more detailed information on service animals, please see University’s Assistance Animal Policy.
- The Ferguson Student Center will not be responsible for any lost, stolen, or damaged personal property belonging to visitors to the facility. All lost and found items brought to the Information Desk will be turned over to UAPD.